Science and Reading:
On Tuesday we had "The Engineers" working with us. These gentlemen are retired IBM employees who have been working this year on several projects with our new enrichment teacher. In preparation for their work with us they have collaborated with art teacher, MC Baker, music teacher, Danielle Trasciatti and the Equinox teachers. With them we are studying the science of sound: waves, frequencies, pitch and so on. They brought useful equipment for demonstrating the relationship between the length of an object and the speed of its vibration. We also noticed that a speaker converts electrical energy to vibrations and sound. We look forward to continuing this work that integrates the arts and science. Each student will ultimately build and learn to play an instrument called the Kalimba.
One student demonstrates frequency.
This pole has a different frequency; why?
We continue to study animal adaptations and practice close reading of nonfiction texts.
On Thursday we learned about Conifers through a Four Winds interactive presentation. Thanks Shani! Students learned to identify tree species but the shapes and habits of its needles. We followed up a bit with a look at some interesting pine cones. Thanks Alex!
Writing:
Students have been busy finishing and typing the first drafts of their realistic stories. Next week we will revise them for sharing. Our goal is to finish final revisions by vacation.
Math:
In third grade math students continue to work on rounding three digit numbers, organization of data and using pictographs and ratio tables.
In fourth grade math we continue to work with fractions of wholes. The focus of the work is primarily on comparing fractions and finding equivalencies.
On Friday Ms. Fisher and Sage visited. It was a fine conclusion to a week full of special treats. We also had a presentation by a group of Voyager students about the benefits of using refillable water bottles. This group designed one (it's a beauty, high quality, camel) and is selling it here at school for $6.00. As you know that we have one week left until our holiday break. It promises to be another busy one.
Enjoy the weeknd!
I like how you included how Mrs. Fisher and Sage visited. You also included the water bottle presentation and I thought that was really great.
ReplyDeletefrom:Ethan V.
I really like when Ms. Fisher came with Sage because I really missed them.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed when Ms.Fisher and Sage came too. I also enjoyed learning about fractions.
ReplyDeleteI liked science and finding the natural frequency. I normally don't like science I sometimes get bored, but this week was really fun and I like the new vocabulary words I now know and I really like saying hertz.
ReplyDeletefrom: Matt Z.
I like how you said "it was a fine conclusion to a week full of treats.
ReplyDelete